Home Login Register  

User Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 09:11:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Bandit 600 Cutting Out - Any advice?  (Read 2217 times)
IrishMike

« on: November 27, 2015, 17:46:28 pm »

Hi,

Yesterday I was driving my Bandit on the motorway where it began to lose power and eventually cut out and wouldn't start.
Petrol was low but definitely not low enough to cause it to cut out.
After around 20 minutes it started up (in 'prime' only) and I drove it straight to the petrol station to put in a full and it ran fine on the 'on' setting for the rest of the day.

Today I took it out and was driving for about 10 minutes and it again lose power and cut out again. This time it would start no problem and move off when the clutch was released but as soon as the throttle was touched the revs would drop until it cut out.

Any ideas what could cause this? Starting and idling fine, will move with the clutch, choke working.. as soon as the throttle is touched revs drop and it cuts.

kenb
Forum Sponsor
Extreme poster

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 18:57:07 pm »

What happens when running on PRIME without switching to ON?
IrishMike

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 19:01:39 pm »

Touching the throttle still made her cut out  Cry

Advertisement

kenb
Forum Sponsor
Extreme poster

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 19:09:06 pm »

Couple of pointers. Open gas filler cap when it starts to die to release any excessive vacuum in the tank. Next time it stops, get the plugs out. Wet or Dry?
kenb
Forum Sponsor
Extreme poster

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 19:16:09 pm »

Thought. Have you checked condition of "line" fuel filter under the seat?
IrishMike

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 19:29:01 pm »

Is that the one that goes from the petcock to the carbs?

kenb
Forum Sponsor
Extreme poster

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 20:10:56 pm »

Is that the one that goes from the petcock to the carbs?

Yes
IrishMike

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 20:25:14 pm »

Will have a look in the morning when it's bright.

What should I be looking for? That it's not connected to the carb fully?

kenb
Forum Sponsor
Extreme poster

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 20:57:35 pm »

Will have a look in the morning when it's bright.

What should I be looking for? That it's not connected to the carb fully?

Full of crap. You will see, it's clear plastic.
bandido

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 00:55:17 am »

Howya Mike,

I was having a similar problem with mine a while back. Would go grand for 15mins or so, then lose power slowly and cut out. Would take a while to start her again. Turns out the breather hose has just come loose from under the fuel tank, causing a vacuum in the tank. Just stuck it back in and put a cable tie to keep it in place, has worked grand since.
Dener

Re:
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 23:05:31 pm »

I might just be able to do you a real favor here. I've just had probably the exact same problem on my triumph 900 and I've had it intermittently since I got her in January, but I could never quite get a handle on it.
 It is likely it is your crankshaft position sensor is going bad.
I'm not gonna take my bandit apart to find out but the triumph and my bandit are very similar as far as ignition and fuel systems go, and I imagine that your crankshaft position switch is bathed in oil when in operation...basically, when they are on the way out, once the get hot, they stop sending ignition pulse signals to the cdi, which obviously cuts the bike out...after the bike cools, the coils begins to function again.
I've chased this fault on and off for months because it only occured in the colder weather

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Dener

Re:
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 23:19:08 pm »

Sorry, hit send by accident lol.
Basically before you spend ages chasing the fault through your ignition coils, carbs and oil pressure sensor like I did, at least crack the crankcase cover to expose the sensor and the rotor..although the sensor is solid state and you can't do much with it, you could at least visually inspect it for cracks and set the air gap to the rotor. I would set the gap at the nearest specified distance to a tip of the rotor, just in case the hall effect is weak. You can also trace the flying lead from the sensor to the cdi unit and check the resistance of the sensors coil is within spec and tolerance. You might find the air gap adjustment will solve the problem but if replacement is necessary the part is about £50 and its an easy job.
Hope this helps

fatblokeonbnadit
Extreme poster

Dont be nasty, have a pasty......

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 07:23:46 am »

Bandits dont have a crankshaft position sensor dontknow
it will be a vacuum problem, blocked or leaky hose icon_thumright

Dont be nasty have a pasty, Dont be shy have a pie..................................................
Dener

Re:
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 09:51:59 am »

You might know it as the pickup coil....they are called various things by various manufacturers which make kit hard to source. I'll dig the relevant details out of the service manual and post it up.
I understand what you're saying about vacuum but I've recently rebuilt 2 sets of varnished up carbs for my bandit and vacuum problems are different.
See if this rings a bell with the OP...When you feel power drop off, Is the oil pressure warning on? Where you downshifting at the time? When it was happening to me, it was almost always as I was setting up to take a roundabout...it's a bitch too because you lose engine braking when you really need it.
Very simple test..when it next occurs, immediately whip out a spark plug and check for spark...if I'm right there won't be one until the engine cools enough for the pickup coil to start working again

fatblokeonbnadit
Extreme poster

Dont be nasty, have a pasty......

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2015, 13:46:07 pm »

EFI models usually have Crank position sensors as they feed lots more information to the CDI than an ignition pick up which basically is a switch, I've had 12  bandits now and never had a problem with the ignition pick ups, except one where someone tried to adjust the air gap by filing the holes bigger and the star wheel  was hitting the  end of the pick up!!
The oil light was coming on because the engine had stopped, doesn't mean it was ignition related, the symptoms sound like a vacuum  problem, or more likely water in the float bowls.
Drain the bowls into a jam jar and see if there is any water in there, then stick a funnel directly into the fuel hose to the carbs to fill the,  and blank off the pipe to the vacuum tap this will remove all problems caused by the tap, vacc hose and vent in the cap.
see if it runs and revs cleanly..
Do all the easy stuff first.  icon_thumright icon_thumright icon_thumright icon_thumright

Dont be nasty have a pasty, Dont be shy have a pie..................................................
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 3 © Bloc