Home Login Register  

User Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:36:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Is Coming!!!!  (Read 7999 times)
NTBooth
Medium poster

How do I ... ???

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 18:10:17 pm »

Ive never been a fan of leather gear, Stinks like hell when it gets wet and is a pain in the arse to dry. Would much rather wear my textiles  icon_thumright BUT each to their own and the leather ones are probably better crash protection.

andycamaro
Frequent poster

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2014, 00:59:39 am »

hence why summer is leathers and winter is gortex texstiles
NTBooth
Medium poster

How do I ... ???

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2014, 09:04:24 am »

hence why summer is leathers and winter is gortex texstiles

That's what I thought

But the amount of times ive been piss wet through in "summer".... Rolling on Floor

Advertisement

Pat03
Power poster

Member of The Zipper Club

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2014, 10:01:33 am »

Ive never been a fan of leather gear, Stinks like hell when it gets wet and is a pain in the arse to dry. Would much rather wear my textiles  icon_thumright BUT each to their own and the leather ones are probably better crash protection.

I never have a problem with my leathers getting wet and I never walk around feeling soggy for the day anymore. I carry my light rain gear in a top box 24/7. Only takes 3-4 mins to pull over if caught in a shower. Most of the time I know exactly what the weather is like on a journey on the day as to wear rain gear or not.

And there's no doubt about whats the better protection. Ride magazine did an abrasion test of ordinary jeans, dragging jeans, textile pants and leathers. The thinnest of Leathers blow them all away on the test.

This is my leg after a 25mph simple town spill with £150 dianese textiles....

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y530/Pat031/File0774_zps9a362d22.jpg
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 17:53:03 pm by Pat03 » Logged
bignatebank
Re:
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2014, 14:02:39 pm »

I'm thinking of handguards for mine, fitted heated grips early this year and they're great but still get cold fingers at times, can't explain how useful the scottoiler is either with the 50 mile round trip I do each day too!
Pat03
Power poster

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2014, 18:30:32 pm »

never had any issue with drying my gortex gear and its only at the extremes ie neck and wrists that get a lil soggy when wet but defo no bad smell either!

I had Dianese gortex textiles for over 7-8 years. My experience is that those wrists and neck don't dry out overnight if you leave them dry naturally as you are meant to do. So they are still soggy at the wrists and neck the next morning when you put them back on....uggh!

Contrary to your own experience, the rest of the area on my gear would still feel a bit damp also because textile gear is made of fabric and that fabric will absorb rain....you can't defy the laws of physics. Its the same deal with leather too on gortex boots and gloves. The outer leather on boots or gloves will still absorb rain and give a heavy soggy feeling although you are bone dry inside from being protected by the gortex. I never said that you will be wet. What I said was that you will go around with a heavy soggy feeling which I find most uncomfortable. In the end, I used to end up the throwing rain gear over the textiles which defeated the purpose, so I went on got leathers instead for better crash protection. Same with the gloves, I got muffs to counteract that heavy/soggy feeling there.
andycamaro
Frequent poster

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2014, 00:18:45 am »

if my gortex gear gets wet have always put on the radiator at home with no issues
Pat03
Power poster

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2014, 10:47:15 am »

if my gortex gear gets wet have always put on the radiator at home with no issues

Unfortunately, drying the gear isn't as simple and straightforward as you make it sound above for a guy like me. It would entail a few drying out periods over the day and a lot of hassle for me.

I have to dry gear off when i get to work. I finish work later and go to town on the way home to do some messages. I relax with a coffee while I'm at it. Gear is wet again & I can't dry off cuffs and neck in coffee shop. Now got to put wet cuffs of  "over" the gloves because they will wet the insides of gloves if I tuck them in. This as you know is a feat in itself with the 2nd hand because the other hand is already gloved up and its awkward to grab either zip, button or velcro to tighten up other cuff. Draughts will creep in and travel up the sleeve even after the best of efforts.

I get home for dinner and dry out a second time on radiators before I go out that night. I go out that night and the dried off gear is wet again at cuffs/neck and other areas so I have to do the "cuffs over gloves" thingy again! I go home and dry off gear for a third time that day to get ready to do it all over the following day again!

Eventually, it became uncomfortable and too much hard work. I found myself putting rain gear on over the textiles a lot, which kind of defeated the purpose of using textiles.

So when my textiles eventually gave up the ghost i opted for very thin leathers in conjunction with very thin and fast drying rain jacket and a lightweight easy to get on pants (a high-end hiking pants with zips completely up side). It made life a little more comfy, less bulky, smell free, bone dry, and more safer to ride in conditions that a spill is most likely to happen to me.

I have no doubt textiles works for you. I'm not trying to convert anyone. But I just like to share another possibility for those who might have similar experiences to me.
andycamaro
Frequent poster

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2014, 21:17:04 pm »

ah yes the work place dry out! thankfully the places i have worked at have had good heating or massive radiators in the stairwells etc so used to put the boots on top of them and gloves and then use other radiators over the office for jacket n trousers.

on office i worked in i had my own little workshop being the IT dude and thankfully my area had the boiler in it for the whole factory / office Smiley
fatblokeonbnadit
Extreme poster

Dont be nasty, have a pasty......

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2014, 21:22:22 pm »

Winter Is Coming!!!!
that is why ive serviced the car icon_thumright icon_thumright

Dont be nasty have a pasty, Dont be shy have a pie..................................................
andycamaro
Frequent poster

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2014, 12:34:03 pm »

Winter Is Coming!!!!

big girl pants! -7 deg C and 2" of snow is my coldest and "madest" ive ridden in, although that occasion the nights before it settled was an interesting ride home with snow coming at you horizontally!
fatblokeonbnadit
Extreme poster

Dont be nasty, have a pasty......

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2014, 13:32:56 pm »

Gave up riding in the winter as soon as I could afford a car with a heater, worst was in 1979 on my gt750 Kettle, getting pulled off the A38 near Exeter by Plod,  when the snow was too deep and the police shut it and sent me and a bloke on a Honda to Exeter train station and put us on the train to Bristol as it wasn't snowing there, sat in guards van for a couple of hours freezing to death ( 2 pairs of jeans 2 pullovers leather jacket and navy issue foul weather gear.. open face helmet)  Shocked .. Passed my car test very soon after that.
I realise im not a "real biker" but I really don't care............  icon_thumright icon_thumright icon_thumright

Dont be nasty have a pasty, Dont be shy have a pie..................................................
andycamaro
Frequent poster

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2014, 15:04:37 pm »

ive had cheap gear untill i lashed out n bought gortex not much fun riding to work with a stream of water running past your crack n sack and got even worse when i lifted my posteria off the seat! but spent the rest of the day stood up at work over a bar heater!

After that incident went out n spent the money, have had cars but more often than not used the bike.

(btw i was 2 in '79  Grin)
Pat03
Power poster

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2014, 11:31:33 am »

ah yes the work place dry out! thankfully the places i have worked at have had good heating or massive radiators in the stairwells etc so used to put the boots on top of them and gloves and then use other radiators over the office for jacket n trousers.

Don't have that luxury in my place, Andy! Our factory is heated by two big gas operated fans fixed near the ceiling. So my gear have to rely on normal-type drying conditions in the factory for 8 hours which still leaves me with damp cuffs and soggy feeling clothes when work is finished.

My set up at the moment only takes up about one minute of my time. My rain jacket is a wafer thin breathable jobbie from Alpinestars and it dries instantly and is left over my leather coat 24/7 like a second skin.

The only hassle I ever had was always with the pants, or to be more specific....the puny design of the leg which feels like doing 12 rounds with Mike Tyson to get on over the boots. The best hassle free solution for me was to get good hiking pants with zips all the way up the sides. Mine are up to the weather as good as any bike pants. And they take less about a minute to put on/off without even sitting down or leaning against something to keep your balance....they're that simple to put on!

All I can say is that using this kind of set-up is tailor made for a guy like me who is always on the go and who makes quite a few pit stops over the whole day. After any of those short pit stops now, I go back out into the world with bone dry kit. No more of that soggy feeling and those soaking cuffs/neck or having the ordeal of trying to put the cuffs over my gloves. 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 14:01:25 pm by Pat03 » Logged
Pat03
Power poster

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2014, 11:35:31 am »

Winter Is Coming!!!!

So you'll be changing your call sign to fatfookinluckyblokeincage for the next few months!

Bah!...I wave my  bootyshake bootyshake bootyshake at your warm and safe cage!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 3 © Bloc