Home Login Register  

User Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 13:14:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 1200 liners  (Read 2572 times)
Old Wobbler
Frequent poster

« on: May 23, 2017, 17:52:56 pm »

Where can you get liners for a 1200 bandit engine or who do you know who can supply and fit liners to a set of barrels?

Cheers
fatblokeonbnadit
Extreme poster

Dont be nasty, have a pasty......

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 18:13:55 pm »

Its easier and cheaper to get a set of barells, but individual ones can be changed , ive just done one for another forum member, ive got 2 good ones left, is thats whats wrong with your old engine?? dontknow

« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 19:13:32 pm by fatblokeonbnadit » Logged

Dont be nasty have a pasty, Dont be shy have a pie..................................................
bulldog
i am hard of hearing + bad spell
Extreme poster

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 19:38:44 pm »

thats whats wrong with your old barrel  dontknow dontknow dontknow

I got b12 barrel with liner and been wrap up with rag left in box for last 3year not use I will selling if want them cheap
Advertisement

Old Wobbler
Frequent poster

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 20:02:38 pm »

Its easier and cheaper to get a set of barells, but individual ones can be changed , ive just done one for another forum member, ive got 2 good ones left, is thats whats wrong with your old engine?? dontknow

The answer is I dont know. Still trying to get the bike back without much luck.

I've had a look online and can't find anyone supplying liners for the engine as if I do I'I have to pull it apart to find out whats wrong. I cant believe that its a faulty fuel tap and float needles thats dropped the tank into the sump past the pistons thats caused them to stick and therefore lose compression on just 2 cylinders.

Why does the engine sing and goes like a 'good un' at over 3,000RPM but drop 2 cylinders at that point? It can't be stuck rings or it would run like a bag of nails no matter where in the rev range.

So what I'm planning is get it back, pull the carbs and check that they arent blocked on nos 2 and 3. Do a compression test with oil down the bores and see if the values go up or stay the same. Then, if all else fails pull the head and check the barrels. If the rings are stuck then its likely the barrels will be scored and hence the two liner.

Is it cheaper to buy 2 liners and the work to get them done or get hold of a 2nd hand set of barrel in good nick. Is it worth trying to sort or not. Do I cut my loses and buy another bike....or get it back and leave it in the garage till I can get around to sort it and by another bike in the meantime to ride

BTW found this    https://www.gumtree.com/p/suzuki-motorbikes/1998-1200-bandit.-new-tyres-new-battery-%C2%A31000-ono/1241691444
fatblokeonbnadit
Extreme poster

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 20:09:48 pm »

it will be carbs, the rings dont stick, and if they do, which they dont, they wont score the barells.. the low compression thing sounds like bull shite... get it back and worst case slap a new set of barells onto it,,, best case sort the carbs and off you go icon_thumright icon_thumright icon_thumright

Or get it back and sell it to me, like i sadi, but that mark 1 looks OK,, BUT have agood look and see what it goes like, where is it??? dontknow

Dont be nasty have a pasty, Dont be shy have a pie..................................................
Old Wobbler
Frequent poster

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 20:13:49 pm »

Or get it back and sell it to me, like i sadi, but that mark 1 looks OK,, BUT have agood look and see what it goes like, where is it??? dontknow

About 10 miles from where I live.
fatblokeonbnadit
Extreme poster

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 20:19:16 pm »

About 10 miles from where I live.

worth a look as it looks bog standard, brake hoses, exhaust and stuff, so not been messed with by some chimp!!  MOT?? V5 all numbers OK??  rusty connection between downpipes and can????offer him £800 icon_thumright icon_thumright

all he can say is no dontknow dontknow dontknow

Old Wobbler
Frequent poster

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 20:21:42 pm »

thats whats wrong with your old barrel  dontknow dontknow dontknow

I got b12 barrel with liner and been wrap up with rag left in box for last 3year not use I will selling if want them cheap

Accord to the the bloke at the bike shop I sold her too, No2 and No3 are down on compression due to stuck piston rings that have scored the barrels so the lump is toast. Funny how, in his words, she goes like a wind at past 3,000rpm.

So I'm trying to price up if its cheaper to replace liners like fatbloke did in his thread on rebuilding a B12 lump for a forum member or getting a good 2nd hand barrel from somebody.

Old Wobbler
Frequent poster

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 20:22:55 pm »

worth a look as it looks bog standard, brake hoses, exhaust and stuff, so not been messed with by some chimp!!  MOT?? V5 all numbers OK??  rusty connection between downpipes and can????offer him £800 icon_thumright icon_thumright

all he can say is no dontknow dontknow dontknow

That was my thinking along with taking cash. Always a good persuader along with a large club hammer in certain jobs.
fatblokeonbnadit
Extreme poster

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 20:35:45 pm »

Hes talking bollox shipmate, if yhe bores were scored it would stil run fine just smoke like a bastard, ive had a few like that, hence i have some spare liners i took from a set with one knackered. Ask him which type of endoscope he used to see the scoring or did he use xray vision dontknow

Swoping a set of barels is a few hours work icon_thumright

Old Wobbler
Frequent poster

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 20:51:09 pm »

Hes talking bollox shipmate, if yhe bores were scored it would stil run fine just smoke like a bastard, ive had a few like that, hence i have some spare liners i took from a set with one knackered. Ask him which type of endoscope he used to see the scoring or did he use xray vision dontknow

Swoping a set of barels is a few hours work icon_thumright

The last time she fire up and ran was October 2016 and apart from the white steamy smoke you get she was clean as a whistle and the white dissapeared after the first minute. Even when I had her sort of running at the end of March 2017 there was no smoke at all but she was on choke. After I cleaned the carbs I just loads of fuel over the floor a coming out of the airbox, chokes plus the oil level went up.
tonymechanic
Extreme poster

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 22:00:30 pm »

I'm with FB on this, I cant see the barrels/rings being the problem. recheck the valve clearances is a good idea also you say the carbs are clean, do you know that all the drillings are clear ?

I used to take drugs because I wanted to, I now take drugs because I have too.
Old Wobbler
Frequent poster

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 22:58:44 pm »

I'm with FB on this, I cant see the barrels/rings being the problem. recheck the valve clearances is a good idea also you say the carbs are clean, do you know that all the drillings are clear ?

I am not sure is the real answer, tonymechanic. I thought I had cleaned them well but when she leaked I just gave up and sold her out. I dont know if the bloke has sorted that or not. I'm guessing not with the compression comments.
tonymechanic
Extreme poster

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 23:17:01 pm »

I am not sure is the real answer, tonymechanic. I thought I had cleaned them well but when she leaked I just gave up and sold her out. I dont know if the bloke has sorted that or not. I'm guessing not with the compression comments.

I really think you need to beg borrow or steel a set of carbs  dontknow  without looking at the bike myself I'm convinced that's the root of your problem. this is my favourite bike engine, they are tough as old boots and takes a lot to kill one. don't give up on it yet its mechanical and CAN be fixed.     

I used to take drugs because I wanted to, I now take drugs because I have too.
Old Wobbler
Frequent poster

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 06:37:02 am »

I'I pop up to him tonight after work and see whats going on. Hopefully I can get her back from him.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 3 © Bloc