Home Login Register  

User Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 10:29:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2001 bandit 600 carbs flooding  (Read 3678 times)
Georgezx9

« on: February 18, 2017, 23:08:41 pm »

Had my carbs overhauled by my local bike shop, when on bike fuel poured from the air filter side.
Took carbs off and check float heights. tested them on the bench, still the flooded from air filter side.
Adjusted floats again, still flooding.
New needle valve fitted but still happens.
I am actually struggling to understand how it works as well

Float depresses plunger when the fuel is high enough in the bowl.

Nothing else moves except the plunger, the rubber cone at the other end does not move. Why have the plunger, all that happens Is the float raises the needle until the rubber cone seals the hole seals the hole in bronze insert.

Does the bronze insert come out?

Any other thoughts on fixing this baby

GY
tonymechanic
Extreme poster

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 00:48:10 am »

sounds like its still leaking from the needle valves. to be really sure they are seating properly is to ( if you have one ) hold carbs in a vice and remove one float bowl at a time. rig up a fuel supply to the fuel line and gently lift the float just so it seats but dont push it to hard. if fuel still comes out the valve or its seat needs replacing.   

I used to take drugs because I wanted to, I now take drugs because I have too.
kenb
Forum Sponsor
Extreme poster

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 01:18:56 am »

Needle valve sticking in its slide "tube", thus not shutting off fuel supply? This is possible with some none original valves manufactured to poor tolerances to include rubber seal not aligning with fuel delivery hole.

When is this happening?

If its when engine is not running you have a fuel tap issue OR its turned to PRIME position.

ADDED.

It's unlikely a float is leaking but not impossible. Not seen a leaking float in over 30 years.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 08:32:36 am by kenb » Logged
Advertisement

Georgezx9

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 10:39:08 am »

It first started happening when I had carbs rebuilt, and put them on bike, but now happens on my bench, so don't have a vacuum petrol tank vv in line.

I assume therefore that the fuel just passes down the outside of the needle vv (inside the bronze insert). It does not pass down the inside of the needle vv where the plunger is, so the sprung part that the float hits just gives it a variable and sift contact.

When I look at the air filter side, the fuel comes from the bottom hole and this happens on all 4 carbs.

Thanks again
kenb
Forum Sponsor
Extreme poster

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 11:59:06 am »

Might as well be blunt. Your carbs have had a crap rebuild and need sorting. 30 minute job off the bike.

Quick check on the bench. Invert carbs, remove bowls and blow down fuel supply line. Any flow is due to leakage. Lift floats individually and check for closing when released. Do inspect the needle valve rubber cones for wear groove.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 12:08:01 pm by kenb » Logged
tonymechanic
Extreme poster

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 15:36:57 pm »

if fuel is coming out the lower hole on the airbox side their is to much fuel in the float bowl. it can only be two things,float height is wrong or the needle valves are not seating as me and Ken have said. i think you need a better bike shop  dontknow 

I used to take drugs because I wanted to, I now take drugs because I have too.
Georgezx9

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 21:57:25 pm »

Thanks guys, more knowledge for me, means more chance of success
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 3 © Bloc